2/23/2021

WHO is " I AM " ? ~ Interactive LENTEN Meditation #5 ~ John 8:28

John 8:28

Then said JESUS unto them,

when ye have lifted up the SON+ of Man,

then shall ye know that I+ AM he,

and that I+ do nothing of Myself+;

but as My+ FATHER hath taught ME+,

I+ speak these things.

+  +  +

Q. 1 : Looking closely at this verse, what word is written in italics ? _______

YES, “he”  in this verse, is written in italicized print. 

The italic print indicates that “he” is not written in the Greek New Testament manuscripts from which the Bible is translated into English. It was simply added into the translation.

Thus the statement stops after “ I AM.”

This reminds us of The ELOHIM’S statement to Moses. HE said to Moses:

And GOD said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM:

and HE said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. Exodus 3:14

Q. 2 : In GOD’S statement to Moses, GOD is giving Moses HIS identity. 

What did GOD call HIMSELF ?   __  _____

YES, The ELOHIM ( GOD ) called HIMSELF “ I AM.”

The New Testament was written in Greek, but the Old Testament was written in Hebrew ( with a few chapters in Aramaic, a “cousin” to Hebrew).

Interestingly, this “I AM” in Hebrew is in the imperfect verb form.  That does NOT mean it is flawed.  It simply means the action ( or state ) is not “perfected” or finished. It means the verb is CONTINUING ON, with no stopping.

So “I AM” here in Hebrew in Exodus 3:14 actually means: I AM EXISTING ( always, ever, never ceasing at any point in time) or I AM BEING ( I will never be stopped “being” GOD ).

Q. 3 : JESUS told the unbelieving Pharisees that they would KNOW that HE+ was  I AM .  Who, then, was JESUS telling them HE+ was ?  _____ 

YES, GOD. 

JESUS knew the Pharisees did not believe HE+ was the SON+ of GOD. They did not believe that HE+ was GOD.

They did not believe that  the Old Testament prophecies about the MESSIAH+ pertained to JESUS.

Many did not even believe the very words which they read and studied diligently in GOD’S Holy Word.

Instead, they WILLFULLY chose NOT to believe, NOT to open their heart unto JESUS even though HE+ fulfilled OT prophecies. They made a willful choice NOT to humble themselves before the WORD of GOD. 

It was willful, obstinate, and stubborn disbelief, the greatest mistake of their short, earthly lives.

After they caused His+ Crucifixion, these willful, disbelieving men would soon learn WHO+ JESUS really was for all Eternity. . . 

just as soon as they closed their eyes in death.

+  +  +

 

LET US PRAY:

O LORD, the human race is in a frightful condition before YOU !

YOU see every one of us. YOU know our down-sitting and our up-rising, as the Psalmist* said. YOU understand our thoughts from “afar off.”

YOU are GOD and most of the human race have rejected Your HOLY SON+ JESUS CHRIST and His+ Identity as the “I AM” , as GOD.  Most have rejected the Saving Work YOU sent HIM+ here to do.

Most people have rejected their own Deliverer Who+ alone can deliver them from Hell and the LAKE of burning FIRE.

Is it my fault ? 

Have I borne a tarnished Witness to CHRIST ?

By my flippant words ?

By my non-edifying conversations I have had with the unRedeemed ?

By my savoring the world in my speech and deeds when I meet up with the unSaved?  

Is “the world” my identity that I show to others to make them feel “comfortable”?

O LORD, I have not been keen to Save Souls from hell.

Knowing that it is a FEARFUL thing to fall into the hands of the Living GOD without JESUS,  I have done nothing to tell others how to avoid the  LAKE of FIRE.

Am I my brother’s keeper ?

Help me, O GOD, to perform MY PART in the saving of souls, souls that are LOST WITHOUT CHRIST and headed for hell, souls that may have no other opportunity to hear about the Way of Salvation.

Help me, O LORD, to have the heart of CHRIST Who+ came to seek and to save those who are lost. It is not the well who need a physician, but the sick. 

I humble my heart to YOU, O LORD.

Renew my zeal and send forth Your Anointing upon me, to bring the Lost, whom JESUS died for, into the Flock of GOD .  Amen.        [  *Psalm 139 ]

No comments: