2/22/2021

Moses Lifting up the serpent on a POLE ~ Interactive LENTEN Meditation #4 ~ John 8:28

 

SERPENT ON A POLE in Mt. Nebo

Mount Nebo is an elevated ridge of the Abarim in Jordan, approximately 710 metres (2,330 ft) above sea level. It is mentioned in the Hebrew Bible as the place where Moses was granted a view of the Promised Land. The view from the summit provides a panorama of the land and, to the north, a more limited one of the valley of the River Jordan. The West Bank city of Jericho is usually visible from the summit, as is Jerusalem on a very clear day.~ Courtesy of Wikipedia

 Interactive LENTEN Meditation #4

 [ In these INTERACTIVE Meditations, please fill in the blank with answers from the verse above. You may do this in your mind or write out the answers and send them to me in a Blog Comment. ]

 

John 8:28

Then said JESUS unto them,

when ye have lifted up the SON+ of man,

then shall ye know that I+ AM he,

and that I+ do nothing of Myself+;

but as My+ FATHER hath taught ME+,

I+ speak these things.

+  +  +

Q. 1 : Being “lifted up” refers to the Crucifixion on the Cross. To Whom+ does the SON+ of Man refer? To  ______

YES, the SON+ of Man in the New Testament refers to our LORD JESUS CHRIST. 

The Pharise spent their lives  reading and studying the Old Testament Law and the books of the Prophets.

The LORD JESUS realized the Pharisees knew the Old Testament prophecies concerning the coming MESSIAH.  HE+ explained to the Pharisee, Nicodemus, who had come to HIM+ by night :

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the SON+ of Man be lifted up:

That whosoever believeth in HIM+ should not perish, but have Eternal Life. John 3:14-15

Q. 2 : Who lifted up the serpent in the wilderness ? ________

Yes, Moses, lifted up the serpent on a pole.  

Moses, a Prophet , was called by GOD to lead the Hebrew slaves out of Egypt where they had lived for 400 years.

In the wilderness, the people of GOD had fallen into sin.

They complained sorely about the Manna GOD had given them to eat --- without labor, without cost, nutritious and with a nutty flavor ( some say ) --- as they left Egypt and traveled to the Promised Land. 

Then, they complained about GOD’S treatment of them and Moses’ leadership.

In answer, The LORD sent fiery serpents to bite the rebellious, complaining people of GOD and many died.

The ones not yet bitten soon repented and asked Moses to intercede for them. Moses interceded for them. When he did, The LORD told Moses what to do to help the people.

And The LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live. Numbers 21:8

 

Q. 2 : Who gave the promise of LIFE  to replace the death that occurred  when the bitten people OBEYED and LOOKED upon the serpent on a pole ? _____

Yes, GOD HIMSELF gave that promise.

Since the GOD of the BIBLE cannot LIE, did this remedy work for those people bitten by the serpents ?  _____

YES, the Word of The LORD GOD certainly was True, as it always is. It DID work !

Here is what is recorded in the Bible:

And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived. Numbers 21:9

Here is a picture which may actually reflect what the serpent-on-the-pole looked like, taken from one erected on Mt. Nebo to commemorate Numbers 21. 

 

 Bronze Serpent monument on Mt Nebo  (Jerzy Strzelecki)

 The brazen serpent monument on the summit of Mt Nebo commemorates this incident.

 

Q. 3 : What does that remind you of? ____________________

YES, it is very similar to the Cross.

+  +  +

LET US PRAY:

O Holy, Heavenly FATHER, I come before YOU ashamed of my many complaints although daily I am surrounded by Your many blessings .

This day, I have had food to eat. This day I have clothing to wear. This day I have had a goodly portion of health and a roof over my head.

O LORD, please do not take away everything that I have NOT thanked YOU for today.

My vision, my hearing, my ability to think, feel, and eat and swallow my necessary food, my ability to walk and move myself about . . . all these many blessings and more besides .

I am sorry that I have been so wrapped up in MY wants, that I have taken for granted Your many blessings this day.

I have complained. I have been angry and bitter . . . yet , I and  my loved ones have eaten this day and are not being hunted down by persecutors (yet).

O GOD, I do not need to be chastened with fiery serpents in order to curb my bitterness and resentment; I see the error of my ways.

I am sorry I have grieved YOU by my complaints.

I am sorry I have darkened my heart and my home with my, evil complaining spirit.

I have NOTHING to complain about!

I repent of this odious behavior.

I ask YOU to forgive me for murmuring in my heart about WHAT YOU HAVE APPOINTED FOR ME.

Help me to keep my eyes FOCUSED on the Cross that JESUS bore for me, for my sins. 

Help me to feast my heart on the TRUTH found in GOD’S Holy Word . . .  because GOD never lies.

This I pray in the Name of JESUS CHRIST Who+ loved me from the day I was conceived in the womb, Who+ constantly called me to Come to HIM+,  and Who+ washed me from my sins IN HIS+ OWN BLOOD.

Amen, and thankfully so.

No comments: