3/12/2008

LENTEN MEDITATION 36 ~ ~ ~ Cut it Off

Lenten Meditation 36 ~ ~ ~Cut It Off
For the Year of Our LORD, 3.12.2008



For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name,
because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you,
he shall not lose his reward.


And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in
me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck,
and he were cast into the sea.


And if thy hand offend thee,
cut it off:
it is better for thee to enter into life maimed,
than having two hands to go into hell,
into the fire that never shall be quenched:


Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Words of The LORD JESUS to His+ Church, recorded in Mark 9: 41-44



Has anyone EVER heard a sermon preached on this passage? Growing up Methodist, I never did. Furthermore, in subsequent years, attending Presbyterian, Assembly of GOD, Episcopal, Evangelical, Anglican, Charismatic prayer groups, and even popping into a Roman Catholic service once in awhile… I never heard these 4 verses touched upon… even in Sunday School.

In 26 years of serious church attending before I was regenerated, I never heard these words of JESUS read nor addressed from the pulpit. Growing up, we were not excused from the sermons of the minister to go to children’s church. Rather, we were taught to sit quietly and listen.


And, more’s the pity, after I was regenerated, I never heard these words of JESUS read nor addressed from the pulpit for approximately 33 years.
[1]


And if thy hand offend thee,
cut it off:
it is better for thee to enter into life maimed,
than having two hands to go into hell [Gehenna, Gk.]
into the fire that never shall be quenched:


Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.




We know The LORD JESUS never spoke a frivolous word. We know HE+ spoke those things necessary for our salvation. We know and have the confidence that HE+ offered to rescue everyone from eternity in hell: HE+ wanted no-one… not even the worst of sinners… to be placed in hell. It was originally designated for fallen angels, not for man.


If our hands do things to make us stumble, sin, or fall away from The LORD, HE+ tells us to do the worst thing possible to that hand: CUT IT OFF. That is how serious sin is, in His+ eyes. The consequences are unthinkably dreadful. Eventually, the sinner will end up in the Lake of Burning Fire… Gehenna… as found in Revelation 20:14, the second death. That is where the devil, the beast, and the false prophet are thrown, Rev. 20:10.



How should we then live?



We had better live in a state of repentance. We had better take His+ words seriously. We had better monitor our thoughts, words, and activities through the eyes of Him+ with Whom+ we have to do.


Dear LORD,

I Thank THEE+ for giving me Thy HOLY SPIRIT; O LORD, take it not from me when I don’t listen! Have mercy upon me. Help me to receive Your blessed conviction for sin. Send it forth to me before worse happens. Help me by Thy Grace to take seriously Your words and Your work and forgive my light-heartedness about them. Help me to deal with my body in such a way that my flesh knows my spirit will not indulge its whims and whines. Help me to live out my salvation daily for the glory of GOD… and escape the fires of the second death.

O HOLY FATHER, I ask these things in the name of Thy Beloved SON JESUS CHRIST, in Whom+ THOU was well-pleased, and in the power of Thy Blessed HOLY SPIRIT. Amen
.











[1] Now in my 60’s, I have heard a Bishop at All Saints Church in Rome, Ga. gallantly address these warning words of CHRIST JESUS… and he addressed them not only to his congregation but also over the airwaves in his radio broadcast.

No comments: