4/28/2008



Resurrection Season ~ Day 37 ~
Nothing in my Basket…
For the Year of Our LORD, 4.28.2008

Yesterday, as I looked at the Scripture selection to plan my own funeral (see yesterday’s blog), I was suddenly hit with an intense fear: I have nothing in my basket to offer The LORD. I have no great works to put therein. Indeed, most days I have times of great struggle. My discipline is sorely undisciplined. I have been weighed in the balance and been found wanting! Thus, all through the worship service I was in tears or close to it.

Last month, we had a dear, dear elderly Christian friend who died. She had planned out her funeral years ago because she didn’t want to be a burden on anyone, for she had no family. But this year, she had gotten progressively sicker. She was 90 and under constant medical care. She would often say, “…I don’t know what is going to become of me!” We knew “what was going to become” of this faithful Christian sister and we tried to comfort her joyfully in the LORD, but she was still very much afraid.

Now, I understand it. She felt she had nothing in her basket, also. No amount of words could comfort her regarding her own standing before CHRIST JESUS. Oftentimes, however, the things we do in life, just because we belong to Him+, are very precious in His+ sight. When it is done out of love for Him+, He+ sees it! Many times we don’t even notice these things. But He+ does.

I’m not saying that there should be no effort made on our part to keep those things JESUS has commanded us to keep and do. We should make the effort.. He+ expects us to do them, as we call upon Him+ in our weakness. But remember, He+ has sent to us the Holy Spirit from His+ FATHER to give us enabling Grace to overcome and to be pleasing in His+ sight. If we choose to do His+ will in all things, we can, by His+ Grace. We are all able to have some fruit in our basket. Some of it may surprise us!

For me, I will call upon His+ Mercy and ask for the continuing strength of HIS Holy Spirit. Our elderly sister did not like the physical state she found herself in, and she told us so! But in the midst of it all, she remained faithful to her LORD+ Whom she loved and trusted in. She continued giving out her “widow’s mite” until the very last of her days on earth. She did what she could in whatever she could. I suspect that is all that any of us can do. Call on the Lord+ for His+ strength and remain faithful in whatever situation we find ourselves in. That’s what the Martyr’s did, and still do.

Here is an old poem some of you may remember. It is worthy.

Only one life, ‘Twill soon be past.

Only what’s done For CHRIST will last.

When I am old, how glad I will be
if the lamp of my life has been burned out
for THEE+.




From the 1979 Book of Common Prayer [Anglican, Episcopalian],

In peace, let us pray to the LORD:


Into Thy hands, O LORD, we commend Thy Servant __________, our dear brother/sister, as into the hands of a faithful Creator and most merciful Savior, beseeching THEE that he/she may be precious in Thy sight. Wash him/her, we pray THEE, in the blood of that immaculate LAMB that was slain to take away the sins of the world; that, whatsoever defilements he/she may have contracted in the midst of this earthly life being purged and done away, he/she may be presented pure and without spot before THEE; through the Passion, Death, and Resurrection of JESUS CHRIST thine only Begotten SON our LORD. Amen



+ + +
The Resurrection of JESUS CHRIST… the most life-changing event in human history!+ + +

No comments: