6/24/2020

Yet Another Vision of FUTURE ACTIVITY ~ ZECHARIAH 5:5



Then the angel that talked with me went forth, and said unto me, Lift up now thine eyes, and see what is this that goeth forth. Zechariah 5:5



LITERAL : 


And then he was going forth , the angel speaking with me. And then he was saying to me, “Lift up, I entreat, your eyes and see what is this going forth.”



VERSE ANALYSIS


and then he was going forth 


The verb is Qal Imperfect, with Vav Consecutive. 


The Vav Consecutive attached at the beginning means it is a series of successive actions, hence the “and then” to indicate that.  Imperfect verbs are unfinished actions that are on-going . 


The English would  more accurately reflect the Hebrew by using our present progressive tense : he was going forth.  

This puts the vision action into a progressive NARRATIVE form, even though we are aware that the action is being related to us AFTER Zechariah saw the vision. 


the angel speaking with me  = This is a Qal participial phrase which identifies that particular angel.



And then he was saying to me, = The verb phrase is in the same form of grammar as the first verb phrase of this verse. See above.



“Lift up, I entreat, your eyes and see   


The article of entreaty, “Na”, is in the Hebrew text. It is often rendered, “I beg of you” to do …  

 The KJV use of “now” here is NOT a time element but a transitional word which is sometimes used in English in place of the “I beg of you” entreaty phrase.



what is this going forth


“Going forth” is a Qal active participle with a feminine singular suffix.   

That suffix indicates that the participle goes along with a noun that is also Feminine singular


The identity of that Feminine singular noun is coming in the next verse.

 +  +  +
JESUS saith unto him, 
I+, I AM,  the Way, the Truth, and the Life: 
no man cometh unto THE FATHER,
 but by ME+. 
John 14:6


No comments: