4/14/2022

HOLY WEEK 2022 ~ The WASHING ~ John 13: 1-17 ~ Traditional Maundy Thursday Observance ~

MAUNDY THURSDAY

 April 13, 2017: Holy Eucharist on Maundy Thursday with ...

A FOOT-WASHING for our Soul

 

JOHN 13

13 Now before the feast of the Passover, when JESUS knew that His+ hour was come that HE+ should depart out of this world unto the FATHER, having loved His+ own which were in the world, HE+ loved them unto the end. And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray HIM+;

JESUS knowing that the FATHER had given all things into His+  hands, and that HE+ was come from GOD, and went to GOD;

HE+ riseth from supper, and laid aside His+ garments; and took a towel, and girded Himself+.

After that HE+ poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith HE+ was girded.

Then cometh HE+ to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto HIM+,

LORD, dost THOU+ wash my F E E T?

JESUS answered and said unto him,

What I+ do thou knowest not now;

but thou shalt know hereafter.

Peter saith unto HIM+, THOU+ shalt never wash my feet.

JESUS answered him,

If I+ wash thee not,

thou hast no part with ME+.

+  +  +

PSALM 51

Wash me throughly from mine iniquity,

and cleanse me from my sin.

For I acknowledge my transgressions:

and my sin is ever before me.

+  +  +

Are you WASHED in the BLOOD+ of The LAMB+ ?

Foot-washing by JESUS CHRIST is not a ritual; it is a death to Self. HE+ laid aside His+ dazzling , divine “transfiguration” robes to be girded about by lowly flesh, the servant’s rough towel.  

HE+ girded this lowly flesh upon HIMSELF+, took upon HIM+ the form of a servant and was made in the likeness of men.

Then, with the flesh of Adam as His+ lowly girding, HE+ used it to wipe us clean. Every drop of our old Adamic nature was wiped away. And in so doing, HE+ gave us new LIFE.

And , being found in fashion as a man, HE+ humbled Himself+ and became obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross.

+  +  +

   O HOLY ONE of Israel, my sins are only hidden from me; THOU+ seest all .  THOU+ alone canst open my eyes.

Cleanse THOU+ me.

Behold, YOU+ stand at the door and knock.

Behold, O LORD,  Self stands revealed by Thy + Light; not a shred of my self-justification can stand before that white LIGHT+ of Thy+ pure Holiness.  

Wash me by Thy+ Light,  and I shall be whiter than snow.

  Purge me and I shall be clean, cleaner than any fuller’s soap can make me.

And in Thy+ Light, I shall see Light  !

For with THEE+ is the Fountain of LIFE:

in THY+ LIGHT shall we see light.

Psalm 36

+  +  +

John 1

In HIM+ was LIFE;

and THE LIFE was the LIGHT of men.

+  +  +

John 14:6

JESUS saith unto him,

I+ , I+ AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life:

NO man cometh unto THE FATHER,

but by ME+.

+  +  +

PSALM 51

Purge me with hyssop,

and I shall be clean:

 wash me,

and I shall be whiter than snow.

Make me to hear joy and gladness;

that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.

+  +  +

 

Traditional churches practice foot-washing on Maundy Thursday during Holy Week. Other churches observe foot-washing at Communion times.

Many churches do not practice it at all.

But for THOSE CHURCH CONGREGATIONS WHO DO OBSERVE FOOT-WASHING,  it is a time of consecration ANEW of one's life and vows to CHRIST JESUS, regardless of when or how it is practiced.

+  +  +

 

No comments: